Every time you turn around, natural deodorants for men and women are popping up on the market. With as many brands to choose from and even more opinions about how they work, AP is here to help.
What you need to know about natural deodorant:
- Choose a natural deodorant that doesn’t block your body from sweating but absorbs the sweat. Avoid products that contain aluminum which is used in antiperspirants to prevent sweating by blocking your sweat glands. Sweating is a biological process that helps to maintain our body temperature. When we sweat, we expel not only water, but also minerals and toxins. Our natural, aluminum-free deodorant uses arrowroot powder to not stop you from sweating but to absorb excess wetness.
- Avoid products that contain water. Water (or aqua) is simply a filler and primarily used to dilute products and assist with application. However, water is also a fantastic host for all kinds of bacteria. Products that use water then need to use preservatives to prevent this bacterial proliferation. Preservatives not only stop bacterial growth in the products but also kill off the beneficial microbiota on our skin. All AP products are preservative free and don’t contain water, just 100% effective ingredients giving you natural deodorant that really works!
- Avoid products that use the general and elusive term “fragrance.” Government guidelines stipulate that fragrances are proprietary information and that ingredients don’t need to be disclosed. This means that generic fragrances can contain almost anything (including known carcinogens). We really like therapeutic-grade, pure essential oils. They smell great and are extracted from the actual plant they are meant to smell like.
Alternatively, you should be informed and diligent in your selection process.
- Look for ingredient panels with minimal, well-known ingredients. Yes, science has done great things and we love that science has stood behind generations of use of natural ingredients. Why add in unnecessary raw materials when a simple combination of coconut oil, shea butter, beeswax, baking soda, arrowroot powder and essential oils are all you need for long-lasting deodorant?
- Look for products from independent manufacturers. Make sure that you actually know where your products are made and who actually makes them.
- Be willing to try a few different brands. We each have unique body chemistry. What may work for one person, may not work for another. No matter the brand or product, if any irritation or rashing occurs, immediately stop using the product and contact the company.