Table of Contents
- Why You Should Exfoliate Your Face with a Clay Mask
- 3 Steps for Exfoliating Your Face with a Clay Mask
- Bonus Step: Use a Facial Moisturizer
- Two Ways to Exfoliate Your Face
- How often should you exfoliate your face?
Skincare routines can seem complicated, especially if you’ve never made it a part of your weekly care. It’s hard to tell if you’re doing enough or doing it right or using the right products. The important thing to remember is that even paying occasional attention to the skin on your face can lead to some pretty significant changes in your appearance.
By taking just 15 minutes once a week for some self-love, you prevent the occurrence of acne and actively fight the signs of aging. Look younger and feel cleaner? Yes, please.
Read on, guys and gals!
Why You Should Exfoliate Your Face with a Clay Mask
A clay mask is a great product to add to your skincare routine. There are several different types of facial masks out there, but we recommend using a clay mask made out of non-harsh clays.
Keep these points in mind as you shop for a clay mask:
- A clay mask should be 100% natural. When you exfoliate your face you are opening up your pores and making them receptive to whatever you decide to add next. Keep synthetic ingredients and fragrances out so your face does not absorb them.
- Use a powdered clay mask. Liquid clay masks are premixed with water meaning they require the use of preservatives to keep them from spoiling while they’re on the shelf. Choose a powdered clay mask that isn’t pre-mixed and you’ll skip all the extra chemicals when exfoliating your face.
3 Steps for Exfoliating Your Face with a Clay Mask
Step 1. Wash Your Face
First, you want to start off by washing your face. Having a clean base to start with allows your skin to reap all of the benefits a clay mask has to offer. We want to remove any oil or dirt has accumulated on your face.
Once you’ve finished washing your face, you will want to make sure you gently pat your skin dry. We need a dry surface to make sure the clay mask does its job.
Step 2: Prepare & Apply the Clay Mask
Next, you will want to prepare your clay mask.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of your powdered clay mask in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the desired amount of water and lightly mix the clay mask. The clay/water mixture should be just thick enough to spread.
- Use a soft bristle brush, your fingertips, or a small spoon to combine.
- Apply the clay mask with a soft bristle brush or your fingertips. Make sure you are covering all of the skin on your face except the skin around your eyes.
How thick should the clay mask be?
The thickness of the clay mask is solely dependent on your personal preference. Some people prefer a thicker clay mask so they use less water. If you prefer your clay mask to be thinner, add more water. The thickness of the clay mask will determine the drying time in the next step.
Pro-tip: Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil or a facial moisturizer to the mixture. This will not only elevate the experience but the benefits of the oils and moisturizers will also work while in the mask. We love to add a few drops of our favorite face moisturizer to the mixture.
You can apply the clay mask in a variety of different ways. If you have a brush, you can apply it with that, it makes the application process a little easier and goes on more smoothly. Or you can apply the clay mask with your fingertips. Make sure you are covering all of the skin except the skin around your eyes.
Step 3: Allow the Clay Mask to Dry then Rinse It Off
Now, we wait!
- Once the clay mask is on your face, let it dry, this will take roughly 12-15 minutes. As mentioned in step 2, the thickness of the clay mask will determine how long it will take for it to dry.
The thicker the clay mask, the longer it will take to dry.
- Once the mask has dried, you can use warm water to rinse it off, or you can take a warm, damp washcloth to help clean the clay mask off.
If using a washcloth, wipe gently because a washcloth is a form of physical exfoliation, and since your skin was just exfoliated from the clay mask you will want to be gentle with it.
Bonus Step: Use a Facial Moisturizer
The easiest way to take your skincare routine to the next level is to apply an oil-based face serum. You’ve just exfoliated your face meaning your skin is clean and ready to soak up some healthy moisture.
Face moisturizers can soak in better and give you longer-lasting results after you exfoliate your face. They give you that extra radiant glow people notice.
The face moisturizer you use depends on when you use your clay mask. If you exfoliate your face as part of your morning skincare routine, you will want to use a face moisturizer formulated for daytime, whereas if you use a clay mask at night, a nighttime face moisturizer is best.
We recommend using the clay mask as a part of your night skincare routine. Nighttime face moisturizers tend to be slower to absorb and leave your skin feeling much more refreshed come morning.
Two Ways to Exfoliate Your Face
No skincare routine is very effective without doing something to exfoliate your face. The purpose of exfoliating your face is to remove dead skin cells, to help clear pores, and to allow other products like facial moisturizers, to penetrate deeper into the skin. To do this, you need to use one of two methods:
Physical Exfoliation (Face Scrubs)
Some products focus on physical exfoliation, this is when you use a product that is slightly abrasive to exfoliate your face. This could be an actual tool like a brush or washcloth, or it could be an actual product like a scrub. The abrasive surface helps lift and loosen the dead skin cells to leave your skin feeling smooth.
Chemical Exfoliation (Face Peels)
Another technique to exfoliate your face is through chemical exfoliation. Chemical exfoliation happens when the ingredients in a product react with your skin to lift the outermost layer of your skin to exfoliate your face. Alpha-hydroxy acids and beta-hydroxy acids are both popular categories of ingredients used in chemical peels to exfoliate your face and skin.
Which exfoliation should I choose? Both!
To keep your skincare routine simple, you can find products that use both physical and chemical exfoliation to loosen and remove dead skin cells.
Our clay mask is made with 2 different types of clays and baking soda to aid in physical exfoliation. It also contains citric acid, an alpha-hydroxy acid that also chemically exfoliates your face.
How often should you exfoliate your face?
We wouldn’t recommend using a clay mask more than once or twice a week. Due to the exfoliating properties of clay masks, using them a couple of times a week will help remove dead skin without being too abrasive leaving your skin feeling raw.